I am a writer and editor whose experience comprises (nonfiction) books, articles, essays (academic and journalistic), and reviews, for print and online publications. I also have recently begun publishing fiction (short stories).
As an editor, I have worked in trade and academic publishing, government, media (print and online), nonprofit and corporate communications. I edit books, academic essays and articles, online content, reports, and promotional materials. I work with all major style guides (Chicago MOS; New York Times; APA; AP).
To see samples of my published writing, please go to my Portfolio page.
GdS Editorial Services, Long Island City, NY 2013 – Present
Provide varied editorial services, from copy and line editing to substantive editing. Clients include major academic publishers of books, journals, articles, reports, and non-governmental and nonprofit organizations. Copy, line, and developmental editing of nonfiction books and book proposals for authors. Contribute articles, essays, and reviews to trade and academic books and online publications.
- Edit nonfiction books for major publishers, ensuring correct grammar and syntax, logical flow, and re-writing when necessary
- Edit author manuscripts with subsequent publication as books
- Copy and line edit progress and other reports for nongovernmental agencies
- Copy edit online content
- Edit books, journal articles, monographs by non-native English-speaking authors, fixing grammar and syntax, and ensuring stylistic consistency (US or UK style) and compliance with publisher requirements
- Hachette, Inc.
- The Nation Books
- Cambridge University Press
- Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS)
- World Food Program (United Nations)
- Palgrave Macmillan
- Individual authors (via Reedsy.com)
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, New York, NY
Senior Editor, 2010-2013
Planned, edited, and wrote agency publications for healthcare professionals and the public: progress reports, epidemiological and other scientific reports, policy papers, brochures, newsletters, and fact sheets. Ensured consistency of public health messaging across multiple platforms in collaboration with the Press Office, the Media and Marketing group, and the Digital Media office.
- Produced 25-30 new print and digital publications per quarter, in multiple languages, that provided important health information to millions of New Yorkers. Publications also distributed to public health organizations in other cities and states, and outside the US
- Conceived, wrote, and edited reports on various public health issues, including a report on New York’s successful efforts to prevent non-communicable diseases, which the City of New York and the director of the World Health Organization presented at a UN summit
- Wrote and edited materials distributed to New Yorkers affected by Hurricane Sandy, providing valuable information and identifying resources on environmental hazards, disaster recovery, and physical and mental health issues that emerged after the storm
MSW, Community Organization and Social Planning, Hunter College School of Social Work, NYC
BA, English, King’s College, PA
- Certificate in Editing, Poynter News University/American Copy Editors Society
- Authors Guild
- Editorial Freelancers Association
- Editors Canada
- American Copy Editors Society
- Society of Professional Journalists
- PEN America
- National Association of Independent Writers and Editors (NAIWE)
- An Offer We Can’t Refuse: The Mafia in the Mind of America, Faber and Faber/ Farrar, Straus,
Giroux, New York, 2007
In-depth study of the “Mafia mythos” in American popular culture received numerous positive reviews
from such publications as the New York Times Book Review, Philadelphia Inquirer, Boston Globe, Chicago Sun Times, Chicago Tribune, Hartford Courant, Buffalo News, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Kirkus Reviews, Publishers Weekly
- The Routledge History of the Italian Americans, (2018), Routledge. Contributed essay to this
major volume of historical scholarship
- Our Naked Lives, (2013), Bordighera Press. Contributed essay to collection of writings by
Italian American authors
- The Essential Sopranos Reader, (2011) University of Kentucky Presses. Contributed essay to
collection of critical commentary on the HBO series, “The Sopranos”
- Mafia Movies: A Reader, (2011; revised and expanded, 2019), University of Toronto Press.
Contributed two essays to anthology of film criticism focusing on American and European crime film
- Mediated Ethnicity, Contributor, (2011), University of the City of New York. Contributed an
essay on the treatment of ethnicity, race and sexuality in US cinema
- Is the Mafia Still a Force in America? (2006), Greenhaven Press. Contributed an essay to
collection of commentary on organized crime in America
- American Voices: Culture and Community, (2006), McGraw Hill. Contributed an essay to this
- Writing in a Changing World: Writer’s Guide with Handbook, 2003, Longman UK. Contributed an
essay to this textbook
- Witness to Revolution: The Advocate reports on gay and lesbian politics, 1967-1999, (2000)
Chris Bull, ed. Alyson Press. Contributed two articles, one of which originally appeared as an
Advocate cover story
- Reggae, Rastafarians, Revolution: Jamaican Music from Ska to Dub, (2000), Schirmer Ltd.
Contributed essay on reggae music
ARTICLES AND ESSAYS
- PopMatters: Articles, essays, reviews for online popular culture magazine
- Rootsworld: Articles and reviews for online magazine focsuing on “the music of the world”
- La Voce di New York: Features, reviews, and interviews for online bilingual news magazine
- Gay City News: Feature articles for largest-circulation online LGBT publication
- Italian American Review: Academic essays for interdisciplinary, bi-annual peer-reviewed journal of the John D. Calandra Italian American Institute (City University of New York), publishes scholarly articles about the history and culture of Italian Americans, as well as other aspects of the Italian diaspora.
- The Nation: Articles and reviews for oldest opinion journal in US.
- Gay and Lesbian Review Worldwide: Feature articles and blog posts for online and print arts and culture magazine
- Authory: Portfolio of some of my published articles